Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

WHY THE NAIROBI WOMEN'S HOSPITAL NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN (PART VIII)


Key Words: Eclampsia, inflated bills, failing anaesthesia, induction, incubator, poor public relations, unprofessional acts  including; drunk staff and doctors, doctors in civilian, carelessness, negligence, lack of skills, exaggerated charges, mysterious deaths, burying the corpse, jaundice, cysts, unnecessary surgeries, mysterious medical cases, crazy bp reads and many more to come.

As of today, Sunday July 8th, 2012, we have come to learn of another incident that took place in Nairobi Women Hospital. On this very day, a woman wrote;

Haki praying mums pray for my pal. NWH is at it again and am not sure why i didn't say something to earlier. She had booked those maternity packages i didn't want to seem unsupportive. Now she's in ICU, luckily the baby is fine, she's been transferred to Karen hosp. Giving birth should’nt be a near death in this century. I don't have enough info, she's my colleague and i have been on maternity leave. Will go visit her. Sijui her kidneys failed, then other organs were shutting down. Hata sijaelewa. I just hope it’s not something they could have prevented

Have you gone through the keywords? Have you figured out the pattern of this BUTCHERY in the name of Nairobi Women’s Hospital. If yes, keep reading, if no, don’t worry, it won’t be long until you get it and keep on reading too.

We still haven’t heard from anyone on this issue, but that doesn’t matter as we shall continue spreading the word far and wide without ever getting discouraged, and now our mission has taken an abrupt twist of turn, we want this hospital and all its branches shut down!! PERIOD!! If one day you hear that I am no more, then you shall all get to know who did the deed, and that shall even be a greater lesson to everybody who wishes to visit this hospital, that it is indeed true they are up to lots of bad things.

I had no intention of writing anything today given that I have to sieve all the stories and send them out in the order that I received them. Organisation is not one of my strong holds, but when I read an update about this lady fighting for her life as our fights goes on about this hospital, I told myself that I better keep on keeping on and I dedicate this blog to her hoping that she lives to see her baby grow into an old age!

Read on today’s story and as usual, I let you dear reader be the judge! But please please please, keep on circulating them out there as that is the power of social media which comes to us free of charge. Coupled with freedom of expression, everything becomes possible!!
A story of a bitter lady:
As I said, my story is not gynaecological or obstetrics related. In September 2010, I started coming down with a cold/ flu. In true Kenyan style, I did the full home remedies of garlic, lemon, honey et al, for a few days. By a Sunday evening, I decided it was time to go to a doctor. Since I was living in Jamhuri, I decided to go to Nairobi Women's Hospital at Adams Arcade. Went to the casualty, saw a doctor, had some antibiotics and pain relief meds prescribed. By Tuesday night, with a fever raging and in crazy pain, I had deteriorated to where I just had to go back to hospital. Back to NWH Adams I went, this time the doctor decided that what I needed was an intravenous once-daily antibiotic shot. For which she would admit me.
I said shoot away, but refused to be admitted. So, after the shot I went home and was meant to show up the next day for the second of three shots. By Wednesday morning, I was so bad, I decided that if I was going to die, I might as well do it in a hospital, so back to NWH Adams I went and got myself admitted. That night and the next night I was given my shots dutifully and was now done with the meds. On Friday at midday, the hospital doctor came round, examined me and discharged me, with a prescription for more anti-biotics, basically giving me a clean bill of health. So, I got my meds and went to pay my bill. On scrutinising the bill, I found they had over-billed me by about Kes. 10,000, from bed charges to medication, all of which I had not partaken of. The cashier did not even bat an eyelid as he corrected the bill, and then I paid for it and went home with a bad taste in my mouth.

By Sunday night, the fever was back. Note that only two days previously I had been given a clean bill of health, and was still on the medication that had been prescribed for me to go home with. By this time, my entire back of the throat was coated with a whitish substance and my tonsils were so swollen I couldn't even swallow water. ( I have pics of the same) This time I decided not to go back to the quacks at NWH, and looked for an
ENT surgeon.
The Nairobi ENT Clinic came highly recommended, so after booking my appointment, I saw the Dr. Nyagah there on Tuesday morning. He examined me, changed my antibiotic prescription and had me do a gargle as well. Then I went back home. But alas the damage had already been done. By Thursday morning, when I was to go for my review appointment with Dr. Nyagah, i was basically delirious. He took one look at me, examined me and asked me where I wanted to be admitted because I wasn't going home.

So, back to NWH Adams it was. It took me almost 4 hours to get admitted. My doctor came, prescribed my medication and left. The first dose took another eternity to be administered. From there it was 6 days of hell. Sometimes the medication would be administered too early or too late, sometimes one of the other patients in the ward who needed a bed pan, or to have a diaper changed would ring the bell for up to 3 hours before a nurse would show up. Once, I needed my intravenous line closed to prevent air bubbles getting into my veins, I ended up closing the valve myself, and even after ringing the bell to have the canula taken off my hand to allow me to go to the bathroom, for over two hours, I still ended up dragging my drip stand with me all the way down the corridor to the nurses station to find them giggling and laughing with one of the young male doctors. I had to start sitting up, even at night, in my delirium to make sure that I was awake when the medication in the line was finished so that I could close the valve myself, lest I slept forever because an air bubble found its way into my bloodstream and heart.

Getting anything done for me by the nurses was so difficult that one night, some of my visitors almost got into an altercation with a nurse and the matron on duty because the nurse took 4 hours to get me anti-vomit medication from the pharmacy on the floor below where I was. In the meantime, I had brought up everything that was in my system and was just dry retching. Eventually, the matron gave me her number, so that I could call her at night if I needed anything. When I tried calling her at
2 a.m., to have my meds administered on time, her phone was off.

Anyway, I eventually recovered, but we had the same issue with the second bill, this time it was over-billed by about Kes. 15,000. Suffice to say, today, I would rather die in my house, in my bed if I was seriously ill than be admitted or even go to the casualty at NWH. The doctors are quacks who cannot tell their asses from a hole in the ground. The nurses must be those girls who failed their exams and had to do nursing as a last option to pay their bills. The nurse who was almost beaten up by my brother that night never, ever spoke to me after that. Even when we would meet in the corridors, or as she attended to other patients after that, she would completely ignore me. Talk of unprofessional! Had the quacks caught the infection early and treated it aggressively, it would have saved me my Zain Challenge prize money. Nincompoops!!

So, can someone still afford to say that we are kidding about this hospital?

How dare they justify their careless remark by insulting us even further by saying that we should stop “payukaring” to quote their words?! When I talk of lack of public relations, I mean these people lack some serious public relations, beats logic where they schooled at. So, see what is sent out to try and calm the play;

Suzanne, I am sure the CEO is doing something about it. He only said that he doesnt answer to mob justice - and am sure you dont expect him to, just like your CEO, he will never answer to mob justice. He want someone to inform him of what is happening, then from there he will handle. Who ever raised this issue with him? -i.e. all those customers/clients who were affected? No one, they only payukad here.. and as such he calls it mob justice.

If you want to get your CEOs attention, do you get the whole department to go to his door step? NO! you find the right time to talk to him, likewise, those affected, if you went to his office and registered your disappointment, he could have listened.

CEOs have seen all, heard all and if you ask 99% of them, they would like someone to confront them rather than payukaring on social sites.

Mmh, so Mr. CEO Sam Nthenya is now playing God? Okey, what we shall say is that, continue rolling on your seat waiting for that someone to come and have a chat with you on what’s amiss in your establishment. Keep waiting Mr. CEO, and ensure you have tanks of coffee to keep you warm during this cold season as you wait. Do CEOs sit behind closed doors nowadays? Which era are we in again? Good job SIR!

And this was supposed to calm the play even further;

Susan, this is a medical institution which is governed by the law of the land. Have you raised these concerns with the Minister in charge?
Look at things in a more focused manner and you will always be assured of getting the right answer. Justice never comes in a day, that is why it is always called sweet justice, when it is genuine. Raise the issues with medical board, etc, and the matter will get to the papers as you wish.

You need to shift your thinking from just payukaring to the avenue of getting help. Please Kenyans, let us see and act as things are, not just out of ignorance.

I never tire saying, if you have more stories that you want people out there to read and learn from emanating from this BUTCHERY, the Nairobi Women’s Hospital, do not hesitate to write to us; sadhi80@gmail.com and women4kenya@gmail.com.


PS: JOIN US IN OUR PAYUKARING MISSION!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam. Spam comments are not approved!

Popular Posts